The State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO) seeks a talented professional to develop, implement, and maintain the organization’s finance and accounting practices. You will apply your expertise and leadership to simplifying internal processes, modernizing finance systems and technology, and developing both short- and long-term budgets that will enable our organization to most effectively serve our membership. Grants management will be a large component of this position so proven experience in this area is essential.
Founded in 1954, SHEEO serves its members as an advocate for state policy leadership, as a liaison between states and the federal government, as a vehicle for learning from and collaborating with peers, as a manager of multistate teams to initiate new programs, and as a source of information and analysis on educational and public policy issues. Your contributions will allow us to further this mission and will enhance our internal operations as we seek to align our funding with SHEEO’s strategic goals.
Key responsibilities include:
o Manage the payroll to ensure timely and accurate completion of all payroll processes.
o Provide oversight for updates to personnel policies with special attention to finance-related functions such as benefits and administration.
o Review and maintain finance-related policies and procedures for the organization, including the development of new finance-focused systems that will improve overall operation and effectiveness.
o Provide oversight for the annual audit to ensure timeliness and compliance.
o Prepare tax filings including IRS form 990.
o Update and maintain business policies and accounting practices.
o Review vendor and consulting contracts to ensure minimal liability, positive funding sources, and an ability to deliver on other obligations.
o Ensure compliance with laws and regulations by managing relationships with outside counsel and auditors.
o Lead and manage the annual budgeting and planning process; administer, review and track all financial plans and budgets; keep staff informed of the financial status of organizational projects. Work with department leaders to forecast upcoming project and staff needs.
o Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
o Manage banking and investment strategies.
o Prepare routine financial reports for the Budget, Audit, and Finance Committee.
o Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; oversee all financial, project/program, and grants accounting.
o Develop, execute and manage organizational grants/contracts and financial management/reporting systems; manage the contract billing and collection schedules, ensure that financial data reporting is timely and accurate.
o Develop a finance training curriculum/protocol for staff, provide training on budgeting, grants management, use of financial systems, compliance and other areas deemed essential.
Required experience and qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field
· 5 years of professional experience with at least 3 years in a senior finance role
· First-hand knowledge of accounting and reporting software (Concur, Financial Edge, Intacct, NetSuite, or other accounting and payable software)
· Direct experience processing payroll
· Proven experience in grant management that includes multiyear investments as well as managing multiple grants simultaneously
· Ability to handle multiple projects with exceptional attention to detail
· Advanced degree in a business-related field
· Knowledge of state higher education policy and issues
· Experience monitoring an investment portfolio
· Experience in conducting risk assessment and contingency plans
· Experience working with a board
Salary ($70,000 - $90,000) will be commensurate with successful candidate’s level of education and experience. SHEEO provides excellent staff benefits.
Please apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
1. Letter describing how you meet the requirements of the position, addressed to Gladys Kerns, SHEEO, 3035 Center Green Drive, #100, Boulder, CO 80301
2. Resume or curriculum vitae
3. Names and contact information of three professional references. (References will not be contacted until you have given permission for us to do so.)
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to those received by Friday, November 2, 2018.
SHEEO is animated by its vision and priorities’ themes regarding college readiness, student success through completion of academic or technical programs, student learning, and the success of graduates in work and society. SHEEO seeks to advance public policies and educational practices to achieve more widespread access and successful participation in higher education, more new discoveries through research, and more applications of knowledge that improve the quality of human lives.
This position is based in Boulder, Colorado. SHEEO is particularly interested in providing equal employment opportunities and employing a diverse staff. Read more about SHEEO on our website: www.sheeo.org.